The School of Nursing, St. Martha’s Hospital was started in the year 1933 by the Sisters
of the Good Shepherd. It was upgraded to College of Nursing in the Year 1998 offering both
Degree & Diploma Courses in Nursing. Preparing quality Nurse educators/administrators
who will deliver value based nursing education, taking the profession to greater heights have
become the need of the hour. Keeping this need in mind, the College was further upgraded
by starting M.Sc. Nursing course in the year 2016 and the Nurse Practitioner in Critical Care
(NPCC) Course in the year 2020. The College of Nursing is affiliated to the Rajiv Gandhi
University of Health Sciences, Karnataka and is recognised by the Indian Nursing Council
and Karnataka State Nursing Council.
Since its inception in 1933, it has trained thousands of nurses whose skills and
competence have won praises across the globe.
St. Martha’s Hospital, run by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, is a Catholic, voluntary
and charitable Institution. It is a well-equipped Multi Specialty Hospital with 500 beds. Apart
from the Specialty services, the Hospital also provides 24 hours Casualty and Pharma
services, full-fledged diagnostic services and Community outreach programs designed for the
economically weaker sections of the Society. Its objectives are to serve the sick and suffering
and to restore them to complete physical, mental, social & spiritual health. The Sisters of the
Good Shepherd have been striving unceasingly in their chosen mission of mercy and
reconciliation which involves, in particular, helping the young girls and women in distress to
become self- supporting and to regain their self- respect.
St. Martha’s Hospital was started in Bengaluru in 1886 by the Congregation of Our
Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd (known as Sisters of the Good Shepherd) on an
extensive piece of land gifted to them in 1884 by the Government of the Maharaja of Mysore
in appreciation of their services to the sick and suffering during a time of plague and famine.
The congregation of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd was founded in Angers,
France, in 1835, by a French nun, Sr. Mary Euphrasia Pelletier, mainly to deal with the moral
and social problems thrown up by the French Revolution, such as large numbers of homeless
children, marginalized women, and young girls. She gave the Congregation the name “Sisters
of the Good Shepherd”, inspired by the biblical parable of the Good Shepherd, who left the
99 sheep of his fold to seek and find the one sheep that was lost. A woman of great vision and
strength of will, she was also a highly compassionate and resourceful innovator who found
ways and means to help the helpless, driven by a deep religious faith and a dynamic
understanding of fellow human beings.
Animated by the spirit of Jesus the Good Shepherd, we strive to bring healing and wholeness to individuals, families and communities through the formation of nurses who are committed, competent and compassionate.
To build on the foundations of respect & human dignity, a conducive environment for learning, practice & research that ensures the professional, academic & spiritual growth of the student nurses, thereby empowering them to excel clinically, rooted in the compassionate love of Jesus the Good Shepherd.
Social responsibility & accountability Mutual respect Honesty and Integrity Collaborative and diverse learning environment Optimizing the potentials of individual students Nurturing and promoting leadership qualities